Close this search box.

Apple Valley Fire Protection District

Commitment to Service Excellence.


Here is a list of our most asked questions

Where is the Fire District business office located?

22400 Headquarters Drive, just north of the intersection of Central & Hwy 18
Click here for a map.

What are Fire District business hours?
Monday through Friday, 8:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m. Closed alternating Fridays CLICK HERE for calendar 

How many fire stations are there in Apple Valley Fire District?
There are seven fire stations within the Apple Valley Fire Protection District.  Five of the stations are staffed 24-hours per day, seven days per week, for emergency response. Station 335 (Tussing Ranch Rd.) is leased and staffed by CalFire.

How many square miles does the Fire District provide fire protection services for?
The Fire District provides fire protection for a 206 square mile area.

What are the requirements for house numbers?
House numbers must be located on the house or garage, so that the address is easily seen from the street. The numbers must be a minimum of 4” high and be a contrasting color to the background they are mounted on. In addition, residents are encouraged, but not required, to post address numbers on their mailboxes. Newly built homes in Apple Valley are required to have lighted street addresses and the Fire District encourages lighted street addresses for existing residences also. Please note that the minimum size of 4” applies to residences only; a business will need to contact an inspector for commercial building requirements.

Does the Fire District rescue animals from trees or poles?

Cats will normally come down on their own.
In the case of an animal on power poles, call Southern California Edison.
For other animal-related concerns, call Town of Apple Valley Animal Control at (760)240-7000, Extension 7555; or, if you reside in the unincorporated area of Apple Valley, call San Bernardino County Animal Control at (800)472-5609.

How can I get my fire extinguisher serviced?
There are several companies in Apple Valley and the surrounding area that provide fire extinguisher sales and servicing. Check your phonebook yellow pages under “Fire Extinguishers.”

CPR and First Aid classes are held on the second Saturday of each month at Fire Station #336, located at 19235 Yucca Loma Road.

All classes are taught by certified Apple Valley Fire Protection District employees.

The First Aid class, offered 8:00 am – 12:00 pm, is a 4-hour class sponsored by the American Heart Association. Students successfully completing the course will receive a 2-year certification card. The cost is $40 per person and includes books and materials.

The Heartsaver CPR class, offered 1:00 pm – 5:00 pm, is a 4-hour class sponsored by the American Heart Association. Students successfully completing the course will receive a 2-year certification card. The cost is $40 per person and includes books and materials.

Advanced Healthcare Provider class is held quarterly.  The cost for the Healthcare Provider class is $75.

Skills-only testing for American Heart Association Healthcare Provider is provided by appointment only. The cost is $50 per person and the student must show successful completion of the on-line course to the instructor. To schedule your appointment call 760-247-7618.

You must pre-register and pay for all classes at the Fire District Administration Offices, located at 22400 Headquarters Drive, during office hours.

Where can I take my household hazardous waste?

Household hazardous waste can be taken to the Town of Apple Valley Public Works building located at 13450 Nomwacket Road (between Ottawa & Powhattan). It is open every Saturday from 10:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m. Household hazardous waste accepted includes television sets, computer monitors, fluorescent tubes, pesticides, batteries, paint, polishes, herbicides, drain cleaners, antifreeze, fertilizers, poisons, household chemicals, motor oil, oil filters, photography supplies, and medications. For further information, call Public Works at (760)240-7000, Extension 7500.

Where can I take my used syringes/sharps?

Apple Valley residents can bring used/unused needles and syringes (sharps) to the Administrative offices. We will accept the containers at the front desk Monday through Friday (except holidays).

Collection Information:

  • We can only collect the sharps if they are in an approved* container (no coffee cans, Clorox bottles, etc).

Unfortunately, we cannot accept prescription medications. Medications can be taken to the Town of Apple Valley Public Works. They are located at 13450 Nomwacket and are open every Saturday from 10:00 am to 2:00 pm.

*FDA-approved sharps disposal containers are made with puncture and leak-resistant plastic. The agency recommends that sharps – like needles, syringes, lancets and other devices used at home to treat diabetes, arthritis, cancer, and other diseases – be immediately placed after use in one of these containers. For more information about safe sharps disposal, visit

How do I become a Fire Explorer?

You must be between 14 and 21 years of age.
You must live in Apple Valley.
You must maintain a grade point average of 2.5 (‘C’) or better in school.
You must be willing to learn and be available to actively participate in various drills, fundraisers, and fire training.
You must submit an application. Applications are available at Fire District Headquarters, 22400 Headquarters Drive, Apple Valley. Applications are accepted at any time, but are processed only twice a year. When your application is processed, you will be notified of an interview with a Senior Advisor.

Fire Explorers are the firefighters of tomorrow, what exactly do Fire Explorers do?
Active Fire Explorers:
Volunteer at many special events, including the Freedom Festival in July, parades, and other District events.
Assist firefighters during flooding and other emergency incidents.
Attend drills twice a month, and continually practice the skills they are learning.
Attend Fire Explorer academies and participate in Explorer musters.

How can I report a house or vacant parcel with hazards?

Please call our 24 hour message number (760)247-3585 and leave your name, address, telephone number, and a description of the hazard and its location.

What if I have a question about an abatement notice?
Please call the 24-hour message number (760)247-3585. Provide your APN (the number located below the date on your notice), your name, a daytime phone number, and brief message about your question. You will normally receive a return phone call within 24-48 hours. You may also e-mail a question to:

What can be done about illegal dumping on vacant land?
If you should observe illegal dumping, please call WeTip 800-78-CRIME (800-782-7463). An award of up to $1,000 is possible if an arrest and conviction occurs due to the information you provide. Unfortunately, the property owner will be responsible for cleaning up illegal dumping on their land.

Can Joshua trees be removed?
Joshua trees are protected by law. If you have a Joshua tree on your property that you feel is a hazard, contact the Town of Apple Valley’s Planning Department at (760)240-7000.

Do you offer CPR & First Aid classes?
Yes, we offer Heartsaver CPR (Child, Infant and Adult) and Standard First Aid. The cost is $40 per person, per class. Please see the First Aid & CPR Training Page for more information.

Do you offer fire extinguisher training?
Yes, fire extinguisher training is available for community groups and/or businesses. Please contact our Public Education section by calling (760)247-7618 to arrange training.

For additional public education programs offered click here

“I have bees.” What do I do?

If the bees are swarming and are an immediate threat to people or livestock, call 911.
If the bees are not an immediate threat, call any local exterminator/pest control company found in the yellow pages of your phone book.

Do I need a permit to burn weeds?
Yes. Click here for full details.

How do I get a burn permit?
Burn permits may be purchased at the Headquarters Fire Station, or Online. (excluding holidays).

What am I allowed to burn?
You are allowed to burn weeds/tumbleweeds, grasses, leaves, pine needles, and small tree trimmings.

Learn More

If you live within the boundaries of the Apple Valley Fire Protection District, which include the Town of Apple Valley and the unincorporated county areas of Apple Valley, you do not pay the county fee. 

Click this link for additional information: FP5


Regular Board Meeting

Tuesday, June 18th, 2024, 6 PM
At Fire Station 336
19235 Yucca Loma Road, Apple Valley, CA 92307
Public is Welcome to Attend

Quick Links
Social Media